Re: [Tigers] gas tank

To: "'kevin beck'" <kevinteresa.beck74@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] gas tank
From: "Robin Young" <robin02@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 01:51:10 -0400
Kevin, most of us have found that the coating inside the tanks have failed
and a stringy sealant plugs the cross over at the gas line fitting.  It
sounds like your tanks are in very good shape but if the coating has not
been removed and another put back,  you have a problem coming.  Also, if
they have never been reconditioned chances are the gasket for the sender is
original and hardened by now. On my car the connector hose and hose clamps
were still Ok.  Eastwood and Por 15 make good fuel tank coatings.  The old
coating can be removed with Purple Cleaner undiluted.  Then tumble the tanks
with sand to remove the rust.  If you powder coat the tanks and cross over,
it should be done before the coating is applied.  One quart of POR 15 is all
it takes for both tanks and the cross over tube.  Robin Young