Re: [Tigers] SUNI

To: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>, "Tigers Den"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] SUNI
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:16:42 -0600
As one of the electric-fan-only group (and also part of the the
puking-on-Mt-Rushmore group) I'm considering various alternatives and
further steps to improve the cooling.

The reason I went with no mechanical fan was spurred by a number of
factors:
1. The engine fan contributes quite a bit to the overall noise level as
well as sapping power.
2. Our local climate makes it a little easier to run without a
mechanical fan. Yesterday morning there was frost on the ground at 6 AM.
3. My aim is to build the car as a streetable autocross and track day
machine, not necessarily to sit in traffic jams.
4. Plumbing the header tank to the right side radiator tank leaves me
with a hose running across the bottom of the radiator near the rack, and
that might interfere with a mechanical fan.

Now I have to decide if having the ability to sit in an interminable
lineup after climbing up a mountainside in 90 degree heat trumps my
previous justifications. This would also be helpful on track days,
because there is a lot of waiting involved there and more often than not
it's HOT on the asphalt.

At Suni I replaced my old 13 pound rad cap with a new 16 pound cap and
didn't have any more leakage issues after that. Part of my problem may
simply have been that the old cap was no longer sealing properly. The
added pressure is a liability to the heater core, though, and I may need
to shim the heater core tanks against the walls of the heater core box
to make sure I don't end up with a rupture there.

Stewart makes a replacement high-flow water pump that should fit the
Tiger - I might end up installing one of these to make sure there is
enough water movement.

Dale A, Lynn Wall, and (I think) the Vanderpools are running two-pass
aluminum radiators. I converted my rad from three pass to single pass
last winter. The Stewart tech tips say that minimum pressure loss (and
high flow rates) are part of the answer because you want to keep the
water flow turbulent and to make sure the water isn't in the engine long
enough to get local boiling. I suppose it's possible that my four-core
rad has too much flow capability and I'd be better off with a three
core...

-------------

About the only thing we can do (now) is to make sure that cars and parts
on display, whether at a concours, autocross, or parts table, are not
left unattended in such a way that anyone thinks they can get away with
pocketing parts... Within our community there is enough integrity and
appreciation for others' efforts that we shouldn't have to worry, but
there are always others that know just enough to pick out special items,
without having the backbone to obtain them by legitimate means.

Theo

<snip>
> Overheating...
>
> I found the comment of Tigers "puking" on the way to Mount
> Rushmore interesting since a number of the cars I looked at
> in the Concours Show relied only on electric fans for cooling
> and no mechanical fan or shroud or anything.

<snip>