Re: [Tigers] SUNI (overheating)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] SUNI (overheating)
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:09:03 -0700
>>> Stewart makes a replacement high-flow water pump that should fit the
>>> Tiger - I might end up installing one of these to make sure there is
>>> enough water movement.<<<

I remember a similar discussion on the list years ago. The basic premise
was, "while you are moving the heat away from the engine faster you were
also moving it faster through the radiator.  Thus, with the high flow rate
the possibility existed that the radiator would not dissipate the heat fast
enough and the returning fluid would not have been sufficiently cooled."

Is it possible to purchase a more efficient radiator (and high flow water
pump) and then negate the radiator by moving the fluid through it too
fast???

 While I'm sure there is a threshold to a minimum and maximum flow rate it
seems an efficient radiator (which often equates to larger) becomes the
deciding factor. I would assume just about any water pump falls somewhere
between the min/max points. Likely though there are pumps that might be
better at low RPM cooling than at high RPM and visa/versa. Additionally, if
one factors in the restriction of the thermostat does it become the
equivalent of the "NASCAR restrictor plate" and negate a high flow pump???
There are so many things to factor in.

It would make a great science fair experiment to test radiator in and out
temperatures relating to flow rate. It seems that a minimal temperature
change, - yet one that keeps the overall temperature near ideal (180?) would
be the desired "sweet spot."

Anyway, I'm not trying to make a statement.  Rather I'm throwing some things
out there as food for thought.  With all the other contributing aspects of
the Tiger cooling issues - who knows?
Tom