Re: [Tigers] Hurst Shifter Info Needed.

To: tigers@autox.team.net, "J. Nichols" <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Hurst Shifter Info Needed.
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 05:46:39 -0700 (PDT)
Jeff- In 72 or 73 I bought a Hurst shifter for my Mk1A. I remember when I
ordered it from the local speed shop, they listed two different shifters. The
one I got didnt bolt up. It came with a plate that bolted to the tranny, like
a stock shifter but that plate didnt fit and I wasnt smart enough to return
it. Instead I made it work by using the stock plate and the provided plate-
bolting the stock plate on, I then drilled and bolted the Hurst plate to the
orginal. The shifter was such an improvement, I was elated. I no longer
floated the vlaves and then missed second gear, I no longer was under the car,
trying to get it UNHUNG between reverse and first gear. My stock shifter was
worn out or perhaps just needed taken apart, cleaned, lubed and reassembld. I
was 19 years old and not very smart. Too, I had to trim the tunnel to make
things work. Now Im certain all I had to do was return that shifter and get
the right one or just get the correct backing plate.
 Hurst also makes a round ball shifter if you prefer it to the T-handle
shifter. Im lucky enough to be running a 5 speed now but if I wasnt, I would
definitly return to the Hurst, especially if you drive the Tiger agressively.
Im guessing the early Tiger or the Mk2, one or the other used a different
tranny than the 1A cars. There has been one on epay for awhile. Its priced
decent and the seller rebuilds shifters for a living.Just for comparison
purposes.
Cheers, TtT