Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 3, Issue 266

To: "'Mountjoy'" <dsmtjoy@cox.net>, "'kevin beck'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 3, Issue 266
From: "Jerry & Maureen \(Mo\)" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:36:05 -0500
List,

All distributors have mechanical advances.  Most have vacuum advance, also -
mostly for better fuel economy.  Performance distributors only have
mechanical advance (289HP), because those engines don't spend much time just
cruising, where vacuum advancing gives you more total advance; thus, better
fuel economy.

The REAL difference in all these distributors (including Tigers) is the
"curve" that has been set up in that distributor for a particular engine.

There are two criteria: (1) the amount of mechanical advance in degrees
determined by the "slots" in the bottom of the distributor (Ford); and, (2)
the rate of advancement(springs).

To date, I have not found any information that specifically tells me what
the actual "curve" looks like for a given numbered distributor.

I have graphed the "curve" from the Tiger Shop Manual and found it to be
very conservative for both the 260 and 289.

I just recurved a new Pertronics distributor for the "Pay it Forward" car
(Ford 302), and there are a mind-numbing 78 different "curves" that can be
set with this distributor. The Ford is better, though.  It has an infinite
number of combinations. Ha.

Jerry Christopherson
9473187