Re: [Tigers] Can This Tiger Be Saved?

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Can This Tiger Be Saved?
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:19:48 -0500
ooooh...one of my favorite conversations and the beginnings of a great debate.

my official position: YES!!!...anything can be saved with enough money and time
involved...but its usually the car and project that the poor guys like me chase
and the rich guys say is too far gone....which is fine with me, it gives an
opportunity for the poor guys to play too. And when the car is all back
together and it looks as good as new....if done right...no one will ever know
you resurrected a mkII from certain death....then I get to rub shoulders with
you cool guys and be part of the cool crowd....(it works better when you donbt
know what I started with, but the concept is sound from my perspective...)

I do however agree that this car would be ALLLOOOOTTT of work. its actually not
the rust that scares me as bad as the wreck damage on the driver qtr
panel.....that kinda thing has a tendency to ripple throughout a unibody...and
you never know for sure how far it got. next thing you know the front fenders
donbt line up....and you never find out why....

Actually I will back up a bit...the more I look at it, the more I notice it
actually does have "structural rust" in the cross members...it would be a royal
pain the square that car back up I think....but I bet someone buys it and
"rebodies" it....which I donbt know FOR SURE how to feel about. Based off of
prior conversations about "original tub" authenticity being the determining
factor....then a rebody in of itself would be an alger I suppose...but again,
if you took this car, replaced the floor pan, replaced the trunk pan, replaced
the fenders and quarters....then you might as well have rebodied it, because
only about 50lbs of the original tub is still there, enough to put in a
suitcase..but yet people donbt frown on it as much....and its not at all
uncommon to restore a car and replace all the skin and pans.......so honestly,
I donbt know about that...it seems like more of a conceptual
debate.................but yes, its one realllly rough old cat...poor
thing....never had a chance...so neglected...left to die, alone.....just not
humane

On Ebay is listed a really rough MK II,  # 220455388283,  that appears to be
too far gone to be saved.  It doesn't even look like there is enough "Tiger"
parts to make an Alger.  May it rust in peace!

                                                       Jeff
_