Re: [Tigers] Tiger List, AOL, and loss of Tiger List connectivity

To: "Steve Laifman" <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>, "Tiger's Den"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger List, AOL, and loss of Tiger List connectivity
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:23:34 -0600
It seems that AOL has updated their spam blocking so it automatically
(but temporarily) blacklists IP addresses when a spam email is detected.

Problem with this is that if any AOL user clicks on one of the list
emails and indicates it's spam (accidentally or otherwise), then the
Tigers list gets blocked for all AOL users. Moreover, now the list
emails for all the AOL users will get bounced back to the autox mail
server. When the autox mail server detects an inordinate number of
bouncebacks from a particular subscriber, that subscriber will get
deleted from the list. This can all happen silently and unless someone
checks over list logs to do a post-mortem, no one will really know what
happened except that the AOL users are hung out to dry.

Cheers,
Theo