[Tigers] Fw: Gas Tank plating /rust removal

To: Beamclub <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Fw: Gas Tank plating /rust removal
From: Tony Somebody <achd73@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:48:03 -0700 (PDT)
Listers- I joined an electroplating site many months back. Hoping one day to
be able to chrome plate Beam parts for myself and possibly others. Ive learned
alot but Im still a long way from setting up tanks to plate nickle, much less
chrome. Another member had recently ask about plating the inside of a
motorcycle tank but first need to remove the rust. Earlier  today a member
posted a different method of using DC power to remove rust. The use of salt is
something new to me. He did say that goggle had many methods, so Im guessing
this one was from there. I thought I would pass it along in case anyone is
considering the removal of rust from parts.Or just FYI.
TonytheTiger

Hello Kirk, type 'electrolytic rust removal' into google and you will find
hundreds of remedies. The one I  use is salt and a car battery , using a
series of side lamp bulbs as voltage/current droppers, easy peasy, and cheap
as chips, try 3 x 5 watt bulbs/lamps first and watch the immersion time as the
method described can eventually dissolve the whole tank in a worst case
scenario. Whilst carrying out the treatment 'suck and see' every 5 mins or so
espcially if the tank is thin. I use it myself with a 100% success rate, just
remember that more salt or more current equals more material removed, so use
both sparingly until you get used to it. Its the cheapest most efficient way I
have tried regarding rust removal from iron/steel parts. Hope this helps you
out as much as it did myself, just remember that despite how little salt or
d.c. current you use, it will always strip the crap off steel. Kind regards,
Bob.
       P.S. If you want to get an idea of how well it works, get an old piece
of steel, paint your initials in it with cellulose paint then place the steel
sheet in a gallon plastic container of water, that has had 2 cups of table
salt added to it, connect directly to a good car battery for 5 mins. using a
copper tube as the anode and connect the steel sheet to the negative side of
the battery, DO THIS outdoors, the fumes do not promote either a long, or
healthy life. When you remove it from solution your initials should stand out
like peeholes in the snow.

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo!
Buzz.

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (12) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to
Traditional

Recent Activity

 8
New MembersVisit Your Group