[Tigers] Tigers, Rust and Final thoughts?

To: 'Beamclub' <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Tigers, Rust and Final thoughts?
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 14:17:20 -0500
In light of the rust discussions and also this eBay Tiger discussion...I am
motivated to add my two cents on it...and maybe restate the obvious...so here
is my thought:

No two Tigers ( or any other car) are presented in exactly the same
condition....ever. There is always a car that has more rust than another, or
one with less. Anyone can take comfort that there car has less rust in it then
someone else's.... The story that Gary W told earlier about the "fist size
hole" in the rocker of the red Tiger made me laugh...because my first thought
was that I have never bought a project car that didnbt have about that much
rust...LOL...and they all get nicely restored, like new...with no reservations
and nothing to be ashamed of. Not saying that the car Gary spoke of was a Gem,
just saying that I think it's funny that rust condition seems to so distinctly
separate everyone's opinion about salvagability of a project....when it's all
just sheet metal....its easily replaced and done so very often. This Tiger on
eBay that Mike is listing....it could be rough, it could even be really
rough...but ANYTHING is fixable with enough money. To me that is rule number
one......With enough money....anything is fixable...The HSC was wrecked and
fixed....but I never see anyone bash that car...I assume because of its
historical significance, and many others....so the new owner of the "clone
prone" Tiger after eBay gets their fees could decide to fix it, and IMO, we
should support him for it. It's possible of course that I'm biased, my car was
purchased from an ex-amateur racer who wrapped the front end of it around a
track barrier....many would have totaled it or parted it out, or even made it a
donor to an Alpine.......but I purchased a Tiger front clip from a VERY well
known and respected member of the Tiger community who chimes in on the list
occasionally, and I restored the front end sheet metal on my car to perfection.
When I say perfect, I mean if anything, it's BETTER than it was when it was
new....which isn't saying a lot since they weren't built within very tight
tolerances to begin with IMO...So that car is dead-on straight...and Tiger
correct down to the last muddy weld...I would  challenge anyone that says
otherwise. ( humorously challenge, because I'm only 180 lbs and never been in a
fist fight in my life, and would probably get my a$$ whipped)

Cars can be saved gentlemen, no matter how bad we think they are....some would
argue it's never too late....( although I've seen some real challenges too)
.....plus I have never had the means or the desire to search out only rust-free
cars from Arizona and southern Cal....Oklahoma has some hidden treasures
lurking in barns and garages occasionally too. And rust in a floor board or a
rocker doesnbt scare me in the least....I think maybe itbs a matter of
perspective. Just a thought...fire away if necessary.