[Tigers] Amp Meter

To: <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Amp Meter
From: "Robin Young" <robin02@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 19:40:09 -0400
I recently changed form generator to alternator on my Mk 1.   The amp meter
quit working about the same time and collective wisdom concluded that the
amp meter burned up from the higher current.  I pulled it out today and
thought I would take a look inside.....nothing is burned and there was no
diode or anything else other than an electro magnet about the shape of a
paper clip.  Apparently the magnet is charged by the direction of current
from either the battery or alternator and swings the needle depending on
current.  It seems that more current from the alternator would pin the
needle positive but a failed alternator would just give  a typical discharge
of amps from the battery.   Both of the eight gage wire ends sparked to
ground (forgot to disconnect the battery).  Do I really need to have the
meter worked on or is there some other place I need to investigate?
........think I will repaint the needle while I wait.    Robin Young