Re: [Tigers] Glyptal

To: "'Tod Brown'" <todbrown@roadrunner.com>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Glyptal
From: "Robert Palmer" <rpalmerbob@roadrunner.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:04:40 -0700
Guys - Here is a link to the part of Feynman's memoirs about using glyptol
to fix vacuum leaks at Princeton grad school. Back in my days of doing
research with vacuum systems, a bottle or two of glyptal was always on hand
for fixing small leaks. Personally, I was reluctant to use it because it was
so permanent and prevented a more appropriate fix - like welding or
soldering - and looked messy too. Some of my colleagues would just starting
painting suspicious places until the leak stopped. Drove me nuts - still am.
But painting engine internals, diff's etc. is a good idea in my book. If
nothing else, it makes clean-up a lot easier.

http://physicshead.blogspot.com/2007/09/feynman-on-princetons-cyclotron.html