Re: [Tigers] oil temperature

To: <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] oil temperature
From: "Jerry & Maureen \(Mo\)" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:09:36 -0500
Owain,

It's not unusual for the oil temp to run higher than the coolant temp. I
wouldn't worry about it.  If you go to a 190 thermostat the oil temp will
likely also go up also, again I wouldn't worry about it. It's always been
higher, it's just now you're seeing the actual temp for the first time.

What I'm trying to figure out is why changing to "lighter oil" made the
engine start easer when hot, because with the weights you mentioned (5w30/
10w/40) the viscosity difference between hot 30wt. and hot 40wt. is so small
I can't imagine that to be the problem why the engine doesn't fire.

I know with my car I have a fairly hot ignition system, but when the engine
is hot and I step on the gas pedal even one time before trying to start it
will turn over quite a few times before starting. If I don't "pump it" the
engine will start immediately. It's amazing how just that one squirt of the
accelerator pump will give a mixture that is way too rich for starting hot.

I guess it is kind of a habit to "pump it" before starting. (Works great
when cold of course).

Try it and see if that works.

Jerry Christopherson

19 days to go to the "Big Texas TAC Session" ;)