Re: [Tigers] Spacing Hood louvers

To: Alvin Johnson <twojohnsons@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Spacing Hood louvers
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:11:21 -0700
Alvin,

There is no "standard" location, size, placement of these louvers, as
they are custom and not standard.

If you have a "hood strap", avoid this area.

Louvers are not necessary with a properly designed cooling system, and
their only benefit (besides a "racy look") is to allow engine fumes to
coat the windshield with oil mist. It protects the glass from rusting!

If it is "function" you want, over looks, then here is the solution:

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/SteveLaifmanValance/pt-SteveLaifmanValance1.asp

The radiator specification details are given, as well as simple mods to
air flow.  If Modine no longer makes this 4 row, high density tube/fin
custom core, dimensions and specifications are given.  Other core
suppliers are likely to have similar custom cores.  Try your local
full-service radiator shop.

"Modine Special Order Manufacturing Division (ONLY) "Special High
Efficiency Core" Cross flow. 18 1/2 W x 15 1/2 H (stock). Four parallel
rows of 5/16 tubes on 3/8 centers, 36 tubes/row, each 3/8 inch deep by
0.080 wide externally. 14 fins/per inch fin density."

It fits the stock end tanks, and works well at 105: F. (and up hill at
the same time).  There are other details in this article that complete
the cooling system design, and build information is included.

Good Luck,

Steve

___
Steve Laifman