Re: [Tigers] Brake Switch

To: "'Richard'" <rcsphx1@cox.net>, "'Tiger List'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake Switch
From: "Wayne-MSN" <w_pierzga@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:34:20 -0400
Rich:

I experienced a similar problem on my MKII using silicon fluid. I replaced
the switch and the problem reoccurred.

After some investigation I found that the switch was indeed working but it
would not pass sufficient current to light the brake lights: i.e. it was a
high-resistance switch. I surmise that the switch is affected by silicon
fluid. My solution was quite simple - I installed a relay that is triggered
by the brake light switch. The relay carries the current and the lights work
fine. I have been using this solution now for going on 6 years with perfect
reliability.

Cost of the solution: approx $5. Time to complete: approx 30 minutes. I
located the relay on the horn-hole cover plate I fitted to the car to
resolve overheating problems.

Wayne