Re: [Tigers] WARNING - ball joints

To: <rfraser@bluefrog.com>, <CoolVT@aol.com>, <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] WARNING - ball joints
From: "Wally Menke" <walmenke@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:09:14 +1100
Hi Ron and all

I'm the friend that Michael was referring to that recently had this issue.
Checking back I purchased these ball joints new in 1997. The car has only
been on the road for 21/2 years and covered about 5000 miles maximum.

I must admit that I wrongly assumed that they had been greased during
manufacture. In this time the rubber just disintegrated letting water and
crud in making it worse. I still had the original ball joints that came off
the car which were in excellent shape. So fitted these back on with a new
set of boots.

Amazing how easy the car turns now.

Cheers
Wally Menke

To All
        I know Rick @ Sunbeam Specialties and Tiger Tom were wrestling with
manufacturing problems with the ball joints back in the mid 1990's

        If you are looking at parts with cracked boots; it is very possible
you have some NOS parts or other that are beyond their self life for the
boots; BEWARE.