Re: [Tigers] WARNING - ball joints

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] WARNING - ball joints
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 13:45:24 -0700
I'm thankful to the parts vendors because without then there might not be
such things as ball joints etc.. That said, I bought both upper and lower
ball joints from the same vendor (2003-2004).  Within about 6 months the
lower joint boots were completely destroyed as the car sat on jackstands.
They cracked in a score of places and just tore themselves open.  I opted
not to contact the vendor because my feeling was even if they were replaced
free (with the same item), - what was the point.

 After working hard on my Tiger "basket case" for a number of years that was
the last straw.   It is hard to get motivated when new replace parts crumble
before your eyes. It's kind of like when you have a  l-o-n-g  engine rebuild
and that last head bolt snaps just before you anticipated it going into the
car.  Sadly my Tiger has now sat untouched for 5 years.

For the record the upper ball joint boots are still fine (go figure) and the
lowers did have a zerk fitting for the grease.

Tom