Re: [Tigers] Crane ignition + dizzy

To: michael king <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Crane ignition + dizzy
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:14:19 -0700
Michael and Tigers,

I have used the Pertronix "Ignitor II" points replacement kit inside the
stock Tiger Ford distributer. I handles all the switching with
solid-state circuitry, and you never have to clean, adjust, or replace
the points or capacitor unit as the stock points would require.
Additionally, I found a tuner that still has a "Sun" distributor
tester.  He was able to adjust the spring tension (hence the advance
curve weight, with the proper spring  pair.  These spring kits come with
an assortment of springs.

An adapter for the Sun unit is needed for solid state switching, but he
had it.

Now, the distributor, cap, and silicone spark wires all look stock, but
perform well.

To get a stronger spark, the Pertronix company also sell a
"Flame-Thrower II" HOT ignition coil with a 0.6 ohm coil primary that
increases spark to 45,000 volts.  If you don't like the chrome housing,
you can paint it black! I isn't $320 + electronic spark, and an obvious
add-on + electronic module ($182).

Summit also sells Pertronix Solid State Ignition Systems 91281 ($100),
and the Flamethrower II Chrome #45001 for $42, and the black one #45011
for $34

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=Ignitor%20II&dds=1

Works great.  I used a replacement electronic ignition on my new 1954
Jaguar XK120M, and I stopped having to change spark plugs every 2,000
miles!  it was a solid state capacitive discharge (CDI) box that solved
an annoying problem.  Maybe the first electronic ignition system,
traceable back to Bosch.

http://www.molla.org/DIY-CDI/SC-DIY-CDI-article-hires.pdf

Bought another one for my 1959 Porsche.

"May the Spark Be With You"