Re: [Tigers] Fitting my LAT 79 Goodness..........

To: <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, "Tigers Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fitting my LAT 79 Goodness..........
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:16:05 -0600
It wasn't me (Tim Ronak went through this... Dunno if he's still on the
list).
However, you can put pieces of tape, sticky side up, around the outside
of the hood opening. Hold them to the car with more pieces of tape,
sticky side down. Then put the hood in place on the hood opening, and
make sure that the sticky-side-up tape is adhered to the hood where it
overlaps with the fenders and elsewhere. Then peel the pieces of tape
that are holding the sticky-side-up tape away and you have the outline
marked.

A different approach:
Apply tape to the hood opening in the conventional way (sticky side
down) so that the inboard edge of the tape matches the hood opening, and
so that tape extends beyond the area covered by the hood as it is.
Put the hood in place on the car, using the shims etc. Now mark on the
tape around the perimeter of the hood.
Remove the hood, peel the tape off (one edge at a time) and then apply
the tape to the matching edge of the hood, taking care to exactly line
up your marking with the edge of the hood. The inboard edge of the tape
now defines the edge of the hood opening on the hood. You'll want to
trim about 1/8" smaller than that, probably. Watch that the tape doesn't
stretch as you apply and peel it.

I'm sure others will have better ideas, but this is just what occurred
to me off the top of my head.

Theo