Re: [Tigers] Aluminum heads recommendations

To: "Nathan Johnson" <vesselofgrace@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Aluminum heads recommendations
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:57:48 -0500
Nathan,
I have built three SBF engines (347 stroker, 289, 331 stroker) using the
Edelbrock aluminum Performer RPM heads and have had good luck with the
quality and the horsepower. Now all three were flat tappet engines, so I
cannot speak to the roller cam viability. The last engine was a 331
stroker for a friend's FFA Cobra made from a '67 302, the idea was to
build a reliable mid-power (350 hp) street engine that could be fun at
track days. With headers, KB 9.7-1 pistons, Performer RPM intake
manifold (very similar design to our F4B), Comp Cams Xtreme Energy
XE268H cam, and a Holley 670 CFM carb the fool thing made 375 HP at 6200
RPM at the rear wheel on Sunoco premium gas and still was very enjoyable
as a street engine.

For my Tiger I was interested in a reliable engine that had a little
sack when I pushed the loud pedal. I built a 5-bolt 289 using the
Edelbrock aluminum Performer Plus heads, Comp Cams XE262H cam, and KB
.030-over 9.5:1 hypereutectic pistons. With stock cast iron headers, F4B
intake, 500 CFM carb, dual-point distributor (with Pertronix), and 1.75"
exhaust it still makes over 250 at the rear wheels at a reasonable 5200
rpm. I wanted a long-lasting, torquey engine that was manageable and was
period correct. So far, with a little over 12K miles on the engine, my
expectations have been met, and yes, I can get the cast rocker covers
off without dropping the engine. Plus, if I want more go, I can add
headers, larger exhaust and bigger carb which will net another 50 HP or
so.

Hope this helps.

Bugz