Re: [Tigers] Traveling and having TROUBLES

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Traveling and having TROUBLES
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:04:10 -0800
Tony,
  I can't comment on the tranny not having that alteration.  However,
regarding the rear end the proper shims are necessary. If you have left
shims out (without purpose - as in, to correctly set the end play)  then you
likely have a constant load on the bearings. A long drive that generates
constant heat would seem to make the matter worse.

 The shims are used to set the free play in the axles from .006-.008 of end
play ( I believe).  This is measured by pushing inward on the hub, then
zeroing a dial indicator.  You then proceed to have some else on the other
side push on the opposing hub and read the movement.

Anyway, that is the story on the rear end (since you mentioned it).
Hopefully others with the conversion can assist you regarding the
transmission.  I hope you can still reach your destinations and enjoy
Thanksgiving.
Tom