Re: [Tigers] More Joy From Our Gov'ment

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] More Joy From Our Gov'ment
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 17:32:52 -0700
 Back when Race City (Calgary's local racing facility - RIP as of a few
weeks ago) first opened for road racing in 1987, some of us were using
avgas to boost the octane content of the pump fuels. Then somebody in
charge of something got wind of that, and next thing you know we had an
official cease-and-desist notice from the DOT, the fire department,
Transport Canada, you name it. They spot-checked people for a while to
make sure that their gas wasn't green (the dye used in avgas) and that
pretty much killed under-the-table dealing in avgas in the area.

The official reason was that avgas wasn't taxed for use as a
road-transportation motor fuel and that's why you weren't allowed to use
it in cars. Maybe the VP Racing and Sunoco dealers were angling for
increased sales...

Theo