Re: [Tigers] inside a hardtop...darkly

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] inside a hardtop...darkly
From: <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 3:31:05 +0000
My personal experience is in refinishing a Mk I hardtop.  It needed to match
the original #86 Green, and get up to grade.  I, too, bought the headliner from
SS, and it fit beautifully.  The rubber quarter window seals less so.

I did find original fiberglass fibers in panel shape under the original head
liner.  It could last forever, but the adhesive could not.  It was all removed
and sound deadening rubberized 12" tiles, with a peel-off paper covering
adhesive (available at major trade automotive paint suppliers, and custom auto
parts stores, were cut to fit the available panel space and stuck to the
inside.  Really did a good job on road noise, wind noise, and that BIG BOOMING
SUV that always seems to be next to me.  Oh yes, it does a good job of thermal
protection as well. Keeping heat in, and out, as it's task.

A word of advise.  My hard top was a Mk I A, or Mk II that uses a single piece
of rubber seal along the entire bottom surface.  The top seals very well, and
yet some movement is allowed, being accepted by deformation of the rubber - not
scrapping the paint.  To wear belts and suspenders I purchase some clear vinyl
sheet, as used in "meatballs", and available at signage supply houses.  I
marked it to match the outline of the top, both sides and back, in one piece
and put it on with clear water.  Any rubbing will be taken up by the vinyl, not
the paint. There are additional rubber corner differences, but the originals f
this design can be replaced (if unavailable) with cut down Mk I pieces (if they
are available!.  SS may have access to these - get the later versions.  The
rubber foam bottom is simple in design, and is also probably available.

No more scrubbing of the paint with those left-over Mack Truck mud flaps!

Steve