Re: [Tigers] tiger originality / authenticity

To: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>, "tigers@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] tiger originality / authenticity
From: Cullen McCann <cmccann@lwpb.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:24:48 -0500
"... but am looking at another car that has a repaired floor and repaired
trunk floor........"

I told myself I wouldn't say anything because when I got started on my car I
remember asking this same question, and the list beat the subject to
death..and has since several times and that's just in the few years that I
have been involved remotely. BUT, I can't leave it completely alone so I will
say this:

IMHO, just about any car outside of the southwest that was driven on the
street has had some level of floor pan or trunk repair from rust. I cannot
fathom, from anyone's perspective, that replacing floor pans or a trunk pan
would take away its authenticity whatsoever. I agree with Tom that the system
is there to validate Tigers, and that they are often TAC'd with far more
extensive repairs than that. So I would consider that the defining factor from
the communities perspective as a whole. But, like Rande said, ultimately you
are the most important person that has to be comfortable with it.

I'm getting on my soapbox for a minute. This thought is just a rant and
directed at NO ONE, just ..."the system" so please no one be offended. I have
actually been dealing with this on another collector car issue and I'm
throwing it out there for you guys to ponder.....or criticize.

This subject plaques my thoughts because I see a real dynamic in the community
of these cars and others with historical following. There are many subtle
levels of cars' conditions. Some are time capsules, perfect in every way (and
congrats to you guys who own them) Some are rusty, some have had collisions,
some were raced and their battle scars are celebrated, some were street cars
with no history and their SAME history is less desirable because they didn't
incur their damage while competing. Some have been heavily modified, either
years ago or presently. And what I see is that people want to clearly define
exactly what that car is now....and have we passed that point of being true to
the car or not, etc. Frankly, I've given up on it. Cars are evolutionary, and
they are a representation of the history that surrounds them. A patch panel
here or there to resolve....LIFE. Nobody is going to take away what my car is
to me because of a self appointed label with no clear definition based on a
intangible comparison to the "perfect car"...when that car basically doesn't
exist. Some guys have cars that are more correct than others, but if you have
replaced your headlight ring then you have deviated from something, somewhere,
whether it is admitted or not. And some of us don't buy the most prestigious
car for sale. Some of us buy the rusty, tired, wrecked, dented projects to
save them, because we can, and because we want to be a part of something
bigger. And we would prefer to not have our cars looked down on because they
have had more extensive work than the aforementioned time capsule..locked away
in a bubble all its life, hidden from the elements and hidden from the life
that pantina'd its fenders or corroded its floor pans. That was the same
corrosion that came as a result of having been caught in the rain with your
grandkids on the way back from Disneyland. Am I ashamed of my rusty floor
pans? No way in hell...

ok, I'm done. .......Thanks for listening, tune in next week.

Cullen
B382001452 LROFE