[Tigers] Book of Norm

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Book of Norm
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:32:14 -0400
I sent this yesterday but either I did not hit reply all or it is still
snailing its way through Al Gore's sophisticated electronic maze.   Maybe a
bad case of brain fade??   Apologies to Mauro and anyone whom may have
received duplicates.

Mauro

I would not call TBON the bible but it is an excellent history source about
the Tiger.   It contains many details and a section about the B948 series,
"African Violets", the South African Tigers that had not been published
elsewhere.

TBON, copyright 1993, is not an end all book about Sunbeam Tigers, it is
just a beginning.   Norm Miller put together an excellent book but there are
mistakes and omissions contained within it's pages.   These mistakes are
just a result of incorrect source material but the best sources he had
available and trusted.   It is extremely difficult when compiling this
amount of information to first recognize an error and then research it to
understand the error so it can be corrected.   We must all applaud the time,
passion, effort and sweat Norm put into his book.

I refer to TBON many times and I will indicate if I'm quoting TBON to answer
a question on the List.   I believe Norm generally answers questions
especially if your adding information to his data base.   You do have to
realize that none of us have all the answers but collectively this List can
give a workable answer.

One of the biggest complains seems to be there is no one stop DIY web site
where we can instantly and easily access the information needed now.   I
agree, the Tiger community does not have this one stop resource.   Most of
us only had Club newsletters to publish Tech Tips, the internet was beyond
us.   I'm not a computer geek type; the full nature and scope of this
technology does not come easy to me.   Great strides are being made to
improve our internet presences and content but we all need to step up to the
challenge.   There are only a few thousand of us in the Tiger community not
10s of thousands like some marques.

EX: Recently several request for information about soft top installation; I
found a write-up by John Crawley and submitted it to the List, I used a
different write-up 30 years ago for my soft top but could not find that one
online.   I saw no reply notes that stated "This worked for me, Thanks";
that was a fabulous opportunity to enhance that article with pictures and
additional notes if needed.   Did anyone step up?   I'm in the process of
enhancing articles I have written with digital pictures and clarifying
content but it takes time.    We all need to contribute to the Tiger
community the best way we can.

You also have to realize that Porsche is still a viable manufacturer with a
long production history and online information.   The remnants of Rootes and
Sunbeam is very thin.   The manufacturing of the Tiger extremely short.
All information about the Tiger is difficult to find and mostly located in
England, if it still exists.   There are more volumes of information related
to the Tiger that we don't know then there are articles we do know.

Ron Fraser