Re: [Tigers] Book of Norman

To: Dave Munroe <dave@munroe.ca>, "tigers@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Book of Norman
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:32:58 -0500
In the case of the Tiger the quest for factory originality is more tricky
because several of the factory components and chassis construction were
somewhat undersized for the application, and certainly never expected to last
through 50 years of regular use. It makes the true survivor car all the more
rare.

If you drive your Tiger regularly then make the changes required so that you
feel safe and so that the car performs the way you want. And if we're
concerned with spreading the word about Sunbeams in general and Tigers in
particular, it's the ones that get driven regularly that will make people sit
up and pay attention.

All the larger Sunbeam meets cater to personalization and modification of
Tigers and Alpines in the concours event, so you don't have to worry about
having your driver Tiger compared against a perfect original. On the other
hand, you may have to compete against one of Dale's cars... ;)

Theo

<snip>

> But....one of the things I like about the Tiger community is the ready
> acceptance of non-original modifications to our cars. Not all surviving
> Tigers can be restored to 100% original condition without the heroic
> destruction of someone's bank account, and once completed, it is
> difficult
> to justify taking it out in the noonday sun or the rain to hasten the
> deterioration of your hard work and spendyness.
>
> My car, for example, a Mk 1A, came to me with a 1967 289 in the engine
> room.
> Lots of signs all over that it was a survivor of the track wars. Much
> better
> to forget concours competitions, and build a daily driver.
>
> This illumination freed me to make safety and comfort changes that make
> the
> "modernized" Tiger safer, more comfortable (and perhaps a bit more
> fun!) to
> use, without worry of wearing out a pristine example of the marque. No
> longer a contender for the Concours trophy, these daily driver Tigers
> can be
> driven to the meets in comfort, and the money saved by not needing a
> climate-controlled transporter can be spent on tires, oil changes and
> birthday gifts.

<snip>

> Long live the Tiger community and its understanding that it is better
> save a poorly preserved Tiger, than to send it to the bin because it
> can
> never be brought to near concours level condition.
>
> I  love my "slightly" modified Tiger.
>
> Dave
> B382000450

---
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.