[Tigers] Engine Color

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Engine Color
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:59:20 -0400
  FYI to all

    Mike Michels email on engine removal reminded me that there are color
pictures of his Blue 260 engine, in the Jan/ Feb 2009 issue of Tiger Tails,
which he believed to be the wrong shade of Blue.    I have been looking at
some pictures of the Blue paint on the Mk II 289 engines and they seem to
have a similar shade of Blue.

    Ford changed engine color from Semi gloss Black to Blue for the 1966
model year which started in Aug 1965.   This includes the last group of
B19KC, 260 engines built in the fall of 1965 and all the Mk II, 289 engines.

I can't say which is the correct Blue because pictures can have color shift
due to lighting, age of paint or other making colors look different but I'm
looking into this as I get time and chance to look at Mk II engines.

I found this web site that at least has 3 Ford Blue colors compared:
http://www.fordification.com/bumpwiki/index.php?title=Ford_Engine_Colors

To me even the first color chip on this site is darker than what I see on Mk
II engine pictures and the color of Mike Michels' engine but it is  close or
similar to what I see in some pictures.

I made a test sample of Plasti-Kote Ford Blue 205 and 224; 205 is the
lighter blue, 224 is the dark blue.  The Ford Blue 205 color on my sample
looks to be between the 1st and 2nd chips on that web site.    There again
this is not a good way to compare the colors.

It would be nice to have a collection of pictures of the original Blue
painted Tiger engines somewhere on the Internet.

I'm going to make some other paint samples and make better comparisons
against a Mk II engine.

Thanks for listening

Ron Fraser