Re: [Tigers] Engine color

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Engine color
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 18:06:19 -0400
Mark
    This is one of those gray areas we may never fully understand.   The
Ford Industrial Division had a lot to do with organization and process of
this Special Order of engines to Rootes but I don't have a clear perspective
on their total role.

    As far as I know all the Tiger engines were built at the Cleveland
Foundry.   I believe the CF on the valve cover stickers means Cleveland
Foundry.  I'm assuming at this time that the color of the engine blocks
followed the color of the rest of the engines built during this same period
in accordance with Ford procedures.   I also realize that with this Special
Order a color variant but still a stock Ford color might have been applied
to the Blue Tiger engines to make them stand out on the factory floor.   It
may or may not have been a nightmare for the Industrial Division to process
the Tiger engine Order.

    My theory is that Ford built the Tiger Engines during slack times in
their normal build cycles.   To date the majority of Tiger engines were
built between Jan through April and between Oct and Nov.   Many castings
were done Jan to March and also July.   July, generally is a shut down
period between model years.  Please note that these are just the trends I
see with the Engine Study; more information could change this.

Ron Fraser