[Tigers] Best Clutch Kit 289

To: TIGERS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: [Tigers] Best Clutch Kit 289
From: m_dangelo@verizon.net
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:55:20 -0500 (CDT)
Hi all.  I am getting ready to buy a clutch for my 289 engine.  The engine is
built to produce about 300HP (or just a bit less), so I am guessing I'll need
a clutch rated for more than stock power. I expect to drive the car
occasionally and at least 99% on the street. The flywheel is the old stock 160
tooth flywheel, which has been resurfaced, by the way.  So, I am a bit
clueless as to which clutch kit to buy.  First, is there anything special
about the Sunbeam Tiger, in that it needs a special type of clutch?  I am
considering the RAM Musclecar clutch and the McLeod MCL75113 diaphram clutch
from Summit Racing.  I seem to remember Doug Jennings recommending a diaphragm
clutch to me...   David Kee Toploaders as a clutch made especially for Sunbeam
Tigers, whatever that means.  I would like to keep the expense of a clutch at
or lower than the McLeod ($235).  Does anyone have any experience with
choosing a clutch for a Tiger?  I would really appreciate your advice and
opinions of the two clutch kits mentioned above (from Summit Racing), as well
as the David Kee clutch.  I also have to buy a pilot bearing and don't know if
that was a special bearing for the Tiger only.  Any idea?  Thanks very much!
Mauro