Re: [Tigers] Flywheel explosoins (was Best Clutch Kit 289)

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Flywheel explosoins (was Best Clutch Kit 289)
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:06:18 -0500
That's a fair point. The probability (or eventuality) of failure goes up
dramatically as you increase the RPM range that the engine is operated at, and
it may be that if you never exceed, say, 4000 RPM, and some given torque
point to Mauro was that today's engines are easily capable of operating at
power levels and RPM ranges that significantly exceed the design limits for
the original engine, and even with a quite insignificant chance of failure,
you have to weigh that against the quite severe consequences. A $500
scattershield and $400 flywheel are cheap compared to the potential bodywork
required to either the car or its occupants...

This is a hypothetical question: Has anyone ever calculated what the
theoretical destruction speed for the flywheel is, purely based on the yield
strength of cast iron? It would be interesting to know what is the safety
factor for a 'perfect' flywheel.

Theo

PS to Mauro: A scattershield such as the McLeod, Lakewood, or Quicktime
pieces, entirely replaces the bellhousing. I've previously owned, but never
installed, a McLeod and a Wedge scattershield.

---
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.