[Tigers] Advice req'd on engine noise - URGENT

To: gpointer@telusplanet.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Advice req'd on engine noise - URGENT
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:36:03 EDT
_gpointer@telusplanet.net_ (mailto:gpointer@telusplanet.net)   writes:

thought I heard something ticking at the stop light.
All  suggestions appreciated. The winning recommendation gets to share
the bill!

Hi Gary,
Here are two "simple fix" suggestions.

1. I would vote for a lifter problem, however, since it  starts quiet ,then
gets noisy that would indicate low oil pressure to the  lifter if it only
happens at idle. If it's a high mileage engine, maybe it  could be fixed with
a heavier oil or higher idle speed.

2. I had a similar but opposite problem a few years ago.  There was a noise
that sounded like a tick or knock coming from the right  side of the engine
at start up but went away as it warmed up. After a lot of  fretting and
consternation, I found that it was coming from the exhaust header  connection
to the tail pipe. The problem went away by simply relocating and  tightening
a clamp. I hope you will be that lucky.

John  Logan