Re: [Tigers] Advice req'd on engine noise - URGENT

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Advice req'd on engine noise - URGENT
From: "Pointers" <gpointer@telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 15:26:31 -0500
Update & good news!
Brought it out of storage. No engine noise. Not on startup, nor during the 10
mile drive home.
So seems something gets out of kilter at higher revs, then settles once the
engine is off (and not just for a short period).
Best web search matchs:
- Lifter pump-up: Occurs in the top 25% of the rev range, creating negative
valve clearance so the valve cannot close, which may interfere with the
piston.
- Sticky lifter: (Various explanations).
For lack of a better approach, oil additive is the Rx of the day.
My NAPA guy recommended "Kleen-Flo - Kleen Valves and Lifters".
I've added that to Castrol GTX, which claims "unique Anti-Sludge formula" and
"superior detergency action", ( plus was 30% off).
I'll avoid the run-ups to 4500 RPM and log some leisurely miles, then swap out
the oil again and see how it goes.
Good excuse for the first cruise of the year, on a day with far above average
temperature.

PS (I received 7 replies from listers in less than a day, and appreciate that
input. I'm good for now).

Gary.