Re: [Tigers] Rear bearing replacement (not hub-pull content)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Rear bearing replacement (not hub-pull content)
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:10:10 -0700
>>> Once the axle is out (I have a HUGE slid-hammer), how do I get the old
>>> bearing off the axle?  I plan on using the freezer and boiling water to
>>> put the new bearing on.<<<

Freeze, heat should sure help.  I used a press and a bearing support tool
for the on/off of the bearing.

>>> I also plan on using in the same spacers that come off each axle to go
>>> right back on with the new bearings.<<<

That will probably be ok.  HOWEVER, I highly recommend you get an end play
reading BEFORE you pull the axles. This way you know what is was if anything
seems wrong during the reinstallation. A dial indicator and a support base
are needed.  There are paper gaskets that may/may not survive the removal.
These factor in to the play.  In the end I had to make my own. I'm not sure
where they are available.  FYI, I had .004 not the .006-.008 I recall being
the play specified. But, lacking any more shims... .

>>> Installing the axle with new bearing, how does one "press" the axle back
>>> in?<<<

The bearing seemingly goes in backwards compared to many other methods.
Ideally it will just press in from tightening the plate sequentially. Be
careful not to distort anything if it gets tight.   That said, I had such a
hard time getting my axles out of the rear end (See
http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/WittResto101/rt-WittResto101A.asp
Page 4) that I honed the bearing cups.

>>> Thanks for any clarity here, I want to do a minor road trip on Saturday
>>> but don't what to screw up my car not be able to make it.<<<

All the best.  I'm sure others will have more/better advice.  It was 9 years
ago I did mine under distress which clouds the process at times.
.