Re: [Tigers] Battery replacement time

To: Rollright@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Battery replacement time
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:27:13 -0700
Jim,

I use an Optima "RedTop" in all my cars.  (These are NOT the higher
priced, shorter warranty batteries made for Marine application.)

First, they are sealed from leakage and corrosion that ensues. The "Red
Top" side and top terminal are a bit pricey. retails for  $150 +. Then,
they last a long time, especially when left on  the car,while garaged.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/Optima-Batteries/Product-Line/Optima-RedTop-Starting-12-Volt-Batteries/?autoview=SKU

<cid:part1.05050503.06040705@socal.rr.com>

Then there is the "Deltran Battery Tender Plus".  It is about $45-$60,
and It's worked well for extended "garage time"  No "overcharging or
heating".

http://www.autogeek.net/batterytender.html
<cid:part2.02020001.00090103@socal.rr.com>

http://www.batterymart.com/p-del-021-0128.html
<cid:part3.00050400.06000308@socal.rr.com>
They say:

/"What is a Battery Tender? It's a device that plugs into a standard AC
outlet and transfers power in the form of amps to your 12 V battery to
keep it operational over long periods of inactivity. Battery Tender
battery chargers are essential if you have seasonal vehicles that sit
for months without being used. With a Battery Tender, your vehicle's
battery will still be as fresh as the day you left it."
/
 This is NOT a "charger" (no matter what the ad might say) but a very
compact charge maintainer. If you don't use your car as a "daily
driver", this is a needed expenditure.  Don't think of the initial cost,
alone. Estimate the cost of lead-acid  battery, and how often you will
be replacing it.  Additionally,  have you priced the costs of replacing
the corroded trunk floor (either a piece or entirely).  The source in
Canada for repo steel is out of business, and the Alpine doesn't have
the correct fittings for the trunk, only under the "battery box" lid.

As the Brits say:  "Spend the pence so you don't have to spend the pound!"

Steve

Steve Laifman

Editor

http://TigersUnited.com