Re: [Tigers] Bell housing, Trans bolt torque

To: <spmdr@juno.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Bell housing, Trans bolt torque
From: "Would.U.Believe" <mcdangerous@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:48:02 -0400
DW,

I think you're right and the torque spec is more like between 40 and 42 foot
pounds.  I found this spec on 1965 Ford Mustang shop manuals. This weekend,
I used a jack adaptor for early Porsche engines (it securely supports and
the weight of the entire engine) to lift the transmission to the proper
height. It funny because I just installed a fresh engine into my 1972 911 a
couple of weeks ago using this adaptor.  I was skeptical that it would
actually holt the whole engine balanced on the jack, but it worked
beautifully and I did it on my own in no time.  The adaptor has a hole where
the toploader's drain bolt fits through, which is perfect, and has a bolt
that allows one to adjust the "angle of attack".  It took a few adjustments
of height and angle and the transmission slid right in with no force of any
kind.  I attached the bolts and tightened them, but have not yet torqued
them to proper spec.  The whole thing, engine and drive train is now on the
wheeled engine stand, ready to roll under the car, when I get to that point.
I'll lift it into place with the lift plate that bolts onto the intake
manifold.  I watched in amazement when the machinist lifted it like that.
Should be pretty easy (I hope!). I have to get some pictures of this
beautiful engine and transmission before it goes into the car!  Anyway,
thanks for the input!  M