Re: [Tigers] Nitrogen filled tire fad

To: "Jerry & Maureen (Mo)" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Nitrogen filled tire fad
From: Chris Thompson <chris@cthompson.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 15:48:34 -0400
In our part of the country we don't fill them with water or they will
freeze, which IS hard on the tires ;-)  We typically *partly* fill them
with methanol although some people cheap out and fill with saltwater.
And at least here in the mountains we don't do it for weight per se, but
to lower the center of gravity to reduce rollovers.  Hence, just about
half-filled.

And at the track, we don't put N in the tires to extend their life -
heck most people don't use the same set of tires twice.  The sole reason
is because without the moisture in the "air" the pressure in the tire
doesn't change near so much as the tire heats up......

Chris
B382000331