[Tigers] Clutch cylinder rod adjustment

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Clutch cylinder rod adjustment
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 12:06:12 -0400
There's been lots of talk about throwout bearings. I wonder...

Is there a problem with the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder?

The original slave push rod in my Tiger was a cut off carriage bolt. When I
replaced the clutch the first time it lasted less than a year. My theory at
the time (1984) was the slave cylinder was sticking, so I installed a
"return spring" on the pivot arm. It worked until the car was
"de-comissioned" around 1995. Now that I'm in the process of restoring the
car I bought the proper push rod from Rick at SS. To my surprise, it's
adjustable! A good thing except.... there is no mention of the adjustment in
the workshop manual.

So.... any thoughts on adjusting the clutch push rod? My inclination is to
lengthen the rod until the slave cylinder piston is pushed back as far as it
will go. but I may run out of threads before that. The next alternative is
to adjust the rod for proper clutch engagement (starts to engage a bit off
the floor, fully engaged with pedal "slack" travel at the top. About the
same as with my '57 Ford in 1963.

A bit of guidance will be much appreciated. I have no desire to pull the
engine again.

Tom
'67 Tiger 2