Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 233

To: Paul.Tonizzo@sybase.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 233
From: drmayf <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 14:23:57 -0700
Paul, let me chime in here on your thread...  no criticism of your
message...

Cars from teh era of our Sunbeams had mechanical clutch actuation
schemes. her was a cross bar with a couple of levers and a big return
spring. Clutches were adjusted so that the clutch pedal  has a bit if
free play at teh foot. Not much but always some. That was to keep the
throwout bearing from riding continously on the clutch forks. Our throw
out bearing were not intended to runn on teh clutch fingers full time.
Now along comes Sunbeam and probably others. They used the hydraulic
clutch actuation system because getting a mechanical clap trap to work
would heva been difficult at best. So hydraulic was really good for
making them work. But, the hydraulic versions keep teh throw out bearing
surface in constant contact with the clutch fingers.  Thats why they
wore out and make lots of racket in teh olden days. I had to replace
mine a time or two and indeed every time I had the engine out, I changed
that sucker.  Todays clutches and throw out bearings generally have a
higher tolerance for running in full contact. So if replacing, try and
get a hydraulic throwout bearing designed to run in full contact all the
time. Ditto for the clutch fingers. And you'll be a happier camper...

mayf