Re: [Tigers] Headers versus Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds

To: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Headers versus Cast Iron Exhaust Manifolds
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:23:39 -0400
I can't say whether Rick's headers will improve the 289's performance by
themselves, and I'll never know, mainly because the stock Ford heads are
sitting in a box next to the stock Ford exhaust manifolds and the stock
2-barrel Ford intake manifold. They'll go with the car if I ever sell it. In
their places are Edelbrock E-Street heads and a performer manifold. The
heads have much improved intake and exhaust valves and runners, and they
cost about what a conversion to unleaded fuel exhaust valves / valve job
would have cost... less than a grand. I've read the  intake manifold isn't
any better than the F-4B manifold that came with the LAT option, but I'm
comfortable it flows better than the stock Ford cast-iron 4-barrel manifold,
and it's a hellova lot lighter. Add to that a mild Edelbrock cam and I
expect it'll put some fire under this old man's bottom. Maybe not "all it
could be", but better than it was.

I suspect it'd be hard to say whether a set of headers would improve the
car's performance because I suspect that most guys, like me, wouldn't add
them alone.

What I may do is weigh the car. It'd be interesting to know what the weight
distribution is with my LAT hood and all that cast iron gone.

BTW, a 340 with a six-pack was a great little engine in its day, as good or
better than anything GM had to offer in their "stock" 327s. The 360 wasn't
too bad either.

Tom