Re: [Tigers] Tiger Oil Pan

To: Joel Martin <jmartiniii@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Oil Pan
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:07:54 -0500
Typically, if you have a special oil pan then you need a matching oil pump
pickup and dipstick.
For a deep sump pan, a standard pickup may not sit close enough to the bottom
to provide any benefit, in addition to interfering with the windage tray or
baffle arrangement.

The purpose of a deep-sump pan is to move the oil level away from the rotating
assembly. If you install a deep sump pan and then put in enough oil to reach
the 'full' level on a standard dipstick, then one of the benefits of the deep
pan has been nullified.

There should be no problem (other than ground clearance cautions) with a deep
pan. Pans with side kickouts need to have the front corners of the sump angled
specifically to clear the Tiger's crossmember. Aviaid and Canton make
Tiger-specific road race pans. I have the Canton one and it fits well, with
"sufficient" clearance to the crossmember to allow installation and removal of
the pan without removing the engine or crossmember from the car. However,
removal of the engine out the top, as per the shop manual procedure, is not
possible.

Hope this helps,
Theo

> From: Joel Martin <jmartiniii@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Oil Pan
> To: tigers@autox.team.net
> Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 8:50 AM
>

> Here we go again.  My 1965 289 HP oil pan was pretty beat up, so in the
> 1980's, I started to buy some parts I thought I might need some day.
> Well
> the
> motor is at machine shop - Ron F got me over the timing chain cover
> issue
> YESTERDAY - now on to the oil pan.
>
> I bought a windage tray with the 6 bolts -
> part number at home, oil pan DOZZ-6675-A.  Well the machine shop
> indicates
> the
> oil pump (New Melling with 68 LB stock spring-not high volumne pump) to
> pickup
> screen via the pipe that connects the 2 parts will not line up to the
> hole in
> the bottom of the pan where the screen sits.  This pan has a welded in
> tray
> in
> the bottom of the pan.  So a little research indicates this pan fits a
> 69-71
> boss 302 or 69-70 Cougar Eliminator.  Deep sump and drain bolt on the
> side.
> Does anyone know if this pan will fit the motor plus work in a 1966
> MK1A?
> Problems other than pipe, any issues with fitting pan/motor in car - am
> back
> in the tree again?  Please be kind!
>
> Thanks for all you information,
> knowledge.
> Joel Martin

---
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.