Re: [Tigers] crossmember taps

To: rande@thecia.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] crossmember taps
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:49:07 -0700
At 07:22 PM 7/13/2010, you wrote:
>I wondered if someone local (US) could get UNF tap and dies
>
>http://products.tapcousa.com
>
>This outfit sells a single 1/2"-20 UNF set for around 29.00US plus shipping.
>The other choice is 1/2"-13 which sounds like course thread.
>
>Someone else is welcome check their site, enter the information and
>see if they
>come up with similar results, or maybe another supplier.

If you are going to chase and re-thread the frame tube nuts, you will
need a tap with an extended shank.  The standard shank length will
not get you far enough into the tube to do this job
correctly.  McMaster-Carr P/N
<http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP?tab=find&context=psrchDtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=2582A21>2582A21

will do the job nicely.  I use this on every frame I repair when I
attach my reinforcing plates.

Tom Hall
ModTiger Engineering LLC
www.tigerengineering.net