Re: [Tigers] re-chroming bumpers

To: Tiger Man <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] re-chroming bumpers
From: michael king <michael.s.king@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:58:35 +1000
On 16 July 2010 08:37, Tiger Man <Tigerman67@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So do they still do true 'chroming'?  I though that the old process used
> some nasty chemicals and many places now offer some other finish or process
> that isn't quite as nasty to be around.
>
> Just curious
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Its my understanding that all developed countries have ban the use of the
traditional chroming chemicals for OHS and reasons. Apparently this
diminished the ability to get as hard a finsh on the chrome and also makes
it harder to get a good finsh. I remember reading a good artcile about it
ina C&S about 6 years back when they started to phase all the chemicals out.

Long and the short of it, chroming is labour intenstive.. you need a very
straight well polished pats before you styart plating.. and then the finsh
depends hevaily on the amount of finshing and also what base layers they
use.. triple platiung chrome can mean several things.. it depends what those
3 layers are..

Apparently lots of the modern repro stuff is of very por quality and needs
to be rechromed before use.. the current wire wheels for brit cars and hub
caps/bumpers they do for VW's carry a warning they are suitable for summer
use only as the quality of the chroming is so low.

--
Regards

Michael King