Re: [Tigers] Tiger on Bring a Trailer

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger on Bring a Trailer
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 10:10:42 -0700
>>>Is the value of such a clean Mk1A Tiger really only $26k?  That would
>>>make it really hard to justify putting any money into Tigers to restore
>>>them, ...  Please let me know what you think<<<

Well..., in 2000 I paid $3,500 ("use tax" rated) for my Tiger.  It did
require that I buy with it the replacement front clip, the hard top and $800
of unused parts from Sunbeam Specialties for an additional $1,600 ($5,100
total). I have replaced the front clip, all the lower sheet metal (including
an inner sill) and removed just about every trace of rust. I've rebuilt the
front suspension and added the Logan/Crawley improvements.  I also rebuilt
the rearend and its suspension.  When I'm all done (should that day ever
come - 10 years on jackstands) I'll have about $7,500 in the whole car with
virtually everything rebuilt.

 So, "only" $26,000 or there about would be fabulous to me. But, as I have
no intention of selling it in my lifetime "value" is just a number. In 2007
my house was worth about $700,000+. Today maybe $400,000-$450,000. It's all
only on paper.
Tom