Re: [Tigers] Sunbeam Clock

To: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Sunbeam Clock
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 18:33:02 -0400
Thanks, Steve! I have a Mark 1 clock on the way to fill the hole in my new
dash, and when I have the speedometer calibrated I'll ask Peter at Nisonger
to convert it to quartz. I think he does that. There are "small number"
clocks for sale in England, but the ones I saw have white hands. Maybe Peter
can paint them...

Again, the depth of knowledge on this site is amazing. Thanks to all.

Tom

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com> wrote:

>  Tom, and Michael,
>
> Thanks for the vote of confidence, Tom.  Now I "have" to answer the
> question.
>
> Michael is correct.
>
> There were many clock faces used by Smiths for Sunbeam Alpines and Tigers
> (all "dealer options).  Bottom line:
>
>    - The Sunbeam Tiger Mk I used Smiths CE 3030/00, which is in my car.
>    The 3 and 9 are sideways, and the bottom timing adjust and time set are on
>    the bottom sides, and the hands are red.
>
>    Smiths CE 3030/00
>
>    Smiths CE 3131/01
>
> In summary,
>
> The MkIA and MkII used Smiths CE 3131/01.  The 3 and 9 are upright, and
> correct number for your car.
>
> Unfortunately, due to List  space restrictions, only you and Michael King
> will get a directly sent version that does have the pictures.
>
> As an additional piece of information, these clocks were electric wind-up,
> and may not be working.  Never fear, a solution is possible.  A good
> instrument shop that deals in Smiths, can replace the mechanism with a
> quartz VDO guts in the original shell.  The VDO movement is reported to be
> extremely accurate.  Who knows, if mine fails, I'll have to consider this.
>
>  Steve Laifman
>
> Editor
>
> http://TigersUnited.com
>

> michael king wrote:
>
> The MKII used the later model clock as per sunbeam alpine SV, this has the
> smaller numbers with the 9 and 3 vertical.
>
> its smiths part #CE3131/01
>
> On 5 August 2010 05:34, Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
><tkparker1941@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  This is mainly a question for Steve Laifman, I think he's addressed it
> before; if anyone else knows please chip in:
>
> Steve,
>
> Which clock was used in the ' 67 Tiger 2? I know the diameter is 60 mm (@ 2
> 3/8") and the hands are orange, but I think I read you mentioned a
> difference in the numbers. I can't find the original post.
>
> Tom

CE_3030_00.jpg]

CE_3131_01.jpg]