[Tigers] Buyer Beware For Sure

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Buyer Beware For Sure
From: Jeffrey Nichols <jxnichols@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 18:56:50 -0700 (PDT)
"The admonition I would issue is that as more newbies learn more about Tigers
and Alpines, the TAC teams,, and availability of club members to inspect
prospective
purchases on their behalf, folks selling cars they're not completely honest
about are in for a shock. Seller beware. "

I was reading an early 80's copy of "Shelby American" and there is an article
concerning the restoration of a Tiger.  The author bought the Tiger several
years previous and decided to have a well known Alpine/Tiger restorer restore
the car.  Well, the restorer said the frame was too far gone to use and he
just happened to have an extra frame to use in the restoration.  The article
doesn't say if the extra frame was Tiger or Alpine. A few months later, the
car was delivered.  The new owner makes a comments about using a hammer  to
bash out the floorboard and transmission tunnel to fit the engine.  The car's
VIN is listed in Norm's web site as a Tiger but not listed as being TAC'ed.

I'm sure the owner believes he had a genuine Tiger even with the "replacement
frame".  He may have sold it to someone else with confidence that it is a real
Tiger.  I suppose no one will ever know if it is a real Tiger until a person
with  expert knowledge checks the car out.   Then there may be a surprise for
the owner.

                                                  Jeff