[Tigers] Tiger VIN Transfer

To: <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Tiger VIN Transfer
From: "Mike Hokanson" <hokey@oasisol.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:50:37 -0700
It seems the nice green Alpine has been quite a subject of discussion.  Lots
of views/opinions here.  But in reality, I think the main issue concerned here
is the fact a VIN plate was altered/changed and is on another vehicle.  When
you do something like this, it's a no-no.  Utilizing VIN plates that are
stashed in desk drawers and utilized at their discretion is not a smart
practice.  Bottom line - it shouldn't matter whether it was done on a Tiger,
Alpine, Pinto, Honda or any other car.  I personally think a highly modified
Alpine is a great way to go if you really want to drive and enjoy the car.  My
'67 Alpine has the correct numbers and is titled as such because that's the
right thing to do.  I can cut, modify, rearrange components and do creative
things involving the installation of today's tech in the old sheetmetal and
end up with a very custom sportscar that can be enjoyed without fear of losing
a Tiger shell at the intersection due to some kid texting on her phone.  I'm
curious at the price the car sells for on Ebay, mainly because it's a nice,
clean sportscar that someone put a lot of time and money into creating.  But
the VIN has been knowingly altered on the car, irregardless of what car it's
from.  That's a red flag to me, and should be to others as well that have an
interest in buying the car.  Imagine the possibility of the car getting
confiscated due to unlawful activity?  There's a possibility that none of us
will see the final selling numbers due to the listing being pulled if it
becomes apparent that there may be a lawful issue.  Someone said it here
earlier - the original Alpine numbers should have been retained and there
wouldn't be any mistake as to what the car really is - an Alpine with a motor
transplant.  Just my .02.