Re: [Tigers] Parts needed

To: "'Curt Bowland'" <cbowland@msn.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Parts needed
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:59:43 -0500
Curt and group,

According to George Reid's book, Ford Engine Parts Interchange, the K code
engine block "was the same as the 289-2V and 289-4V block with the exception
being wider, heavier main bearing caps."

He also says that while the Hi-Po heads are unique castings, there are
better heads available from Ford and the aftermarket now. The Hi-Po
crankshafts were the regular 1M 289 crankshafts but were tested for hardness
and have a Brinell test mark. However, the mark is easily faked so he says
to be careful.

My copy of the book is from 1998. It covers all the pushrod Ford V8 engines
after the Y-block and has been useful as well as an interesting read.

HTH,
A. C. Tynes
New Orleans