Re: [Tigers] Hipo Heads

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Hipo Heads
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 09:56:32 -0500
I personally think it was at least partially a sales gimmick, but to me it
was mostly the sum of several improvements - stronger crank and main caps,
better heads with the spring pockets and screw-in studs, better ignition,
improved exhaust manifolds and that solid lifter cam that gave the engine
such a wonderful sound from idle all the way up to "Banshee". And it was
almost 50 HP (20%) over the regular four barrel 289 and then Shelby got an
additional 35 HP out of it without much trouble.

Forty plus years of technology means we can now get more power and better
drivability for far less cost than a real Hi-Po 289, but I believe the Hi-Po
289 was a major milestone for Ford. I would dearly love to hear one again.

A. C. Tynes
New Orleans