Re: [Tigers] Tiger Handling

To: BuckTrippel@Verizon.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Handling
From: CoolVT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:29:36 EDT
Why do some suggest 1/8" toe out and others 1/8" toe  in?
Mark L

In a message dated 9/1/2010 1:08:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
BuckTrippel@Verizon.net writes:

I doubt  any local alignment shop knows, much less ever followed the
involved
Rootes factory alignment procedures for which the the factory specs were
provided. (make "Gap Gauges" following the drawing in the manual, make a
front platform, insert Gap Gauges front and rear and then add about 300#
onto the front platform and maybe a bit more into the trunk. Bottom the
suspension on the Gauges and you're ready to begin.

The lesson here  is the Tiger alignment changes as the car is loaded. The
factory estimated  a loading (ride height) and provided specs for that
height. However in the  next 45 years springs sagged, rubber isolators
rotted
and countless  variables were introduced into individual cars making that
procedure with  it's related specs increasingly inaccurate and somewhat
obsolete.

I've had great luck by...
passenger and all  gear),
- setting tire pressures to 40-45 cold,
- setting camber around  1/2 degree negative and
- caster as close to 4 degrees as I can get it with  some
- toe-OUT (no more than 1/8').
(Side to side weighed Caster should  be as close to equal as possible: I
have
off the shelf alignment shims in  various thicknesses down to 1/32 but at
times I've even custom ground  shims to even up the side to side caster
numbers.

good  luck,

Buck Trippel