Re: [Tigers] Steering rack conversion

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Steering rack conversion
From: "Mike Hokanson" <hokey@oasisol.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 15:50:12 -0700
I initially conceived and designed a complete custom front suspension back in
late 2005/early 2006 that would bolt in the Tiger shell (story about the
project can be read at Toyzjunkie.com).  There is a lot more to the project
than what one can imagine.  I spent a large amount of time, money and effort
to design and build the crossmember and associated parts.  Several pieces to a
Mustang II setup need to be relocated and cannot be used due to control arm
length, steering rack location that will accommodate the small block Ford,
control arm inboard pickup points, etc.  The list of changes goes on and on.
The Tiger's shell doesn't allow much room to deal with massive changes and I
did not want to design the setup that would alter the car (no welding, cutting
or drilling).  Our project was configured  years ago and I have a couple
generations of the project in different form.  It has been highly sought after
and demand has been high, creating a backlog that I've been working through
even to this day.  One individual insisted that his namesake allow him to jump
the line and obtain one immediately, but I would not allow that.  Then a
couple of Tiger-specific restorers pressured me to release the jigs, fixtures,
cad drawings, patterns and have me relinquish the project to be controlled in
the Southern California area.  Shortly after I denied to allow that to happen
in late 2008, the design was copied, claimed to be new and has surfaced in a
very similar form to what I designed years earlier.  So, to answer your
initial question, no.  It was easier to design and build a new setup that fit
the car and have a setup that is fully adjustable for infinite/quick alignment
changes.

Mike Hokanson
Northern Nevada