[Tigers] OT: World of Speed & the Worlds Fastest Sunbeam (wannabe)

To: tweecer@yahoogroups.com, tigers@autox.team.net, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] OT: World of Speed & the Worlds Fastest Sunbeam (wannabe)
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 16:38:59 -0700
  Well, WOS is now in sight.  As you may remember, I had a dyno day a
couple of months back. I shredded a V rated tire when speeds rose above
164 mph on the dyno.  Didn't get much data to tune with. But, it wasn't
all that bad, a little rich but that is ok.  I can fix that after the
first run.   Yesterday, I loaded the tune back into the car and fired it
up. Well hat is stretching it a bit. Barely run is all it did and no
idle at all.  I drained the fuel from the tank and put fresh stuff in.
Had put in a set of plugs yesterday. Still ran like dooky.  So, I
imported the MAF curve that I ran on the dyno without corrections and
reloaded the binary into all four positions.  Night and day.  Now it
idles at a docile 1000 rpm like it is supposed to. I guess an gremlin
had gotten into the upload somehow.  Car seems to be good. No major ills
except that it is still hurt and may expire this time around. I hope
not, but could happen. 205 is our goal.  19 mph is all I need to add to
the existing car speed. Doesn't sound like much does it, maybe not if
the turbo is working like it is supposed to . Now set at 10 psig.  Have
set points for 12 and 15 if needed....  Can you say Kaboom!

So, the Worlds Fastest Sunbeam (wannabe) will head up to Bonneville on
the 13th.  We should arrive there around 1 - 2 pm if all goes well.  We
will park the trailer and put down the ground cloth and put the awning
frame up.  Maybe get the car out and covered with its car cover.  Hook
up the tow bar and be ready to head to tech inspection as soon as we get
back  on the salt on Tuesday. After tech we will see if we can drive the
course before the drivers meeting.  I like to know where the ruts and
soft spots are, though truth be told I keep my eyes closed most of the
way. Too scary to open them, lol...  As soon as the drivers meeting
happens, then racing is on. we will go until the 18th. Everyone has to
be off the salt by the end of the day on the 18th because another event
is happening Starting Sunday.  We hope to make a run on Sat and then put
the car and stuff away and head home.

If I can, I will leave status via my yahoo account. If I still have
one... If not, then a full report when we return.

I think you may be able to check status on   www.saltflats.com

wish us luck!

mayf